...but we might be able to leave tomorrow to Beijing and if not, we're booked for the day after. It has been a couple of difficult days with Han Han and we were starting to worry, but it seems that things are getting a bit better. Yesterday she managed to be on her own for about 1/2 hour without having to be held and wasn't screaming the whole time. She is eating and sleeping well and we're grateful for that. The boys met some other kids in the pool who apparently were just left there by their parents with the mother load of snacks and Patrick was most impressed.
They played for a couple of hours and that was wonderful (for all of us) and fell sleep about 5 minutes after dinner, giving James and I a few minutes to finish a conversation and discuss our observations about Elena and her development. She seems so fragile and so unlike anything we're used to that we have nothing to compare against. Although it's obvious she has nystagmus (involuntary eye movements caused by abnormal function in the areas of the brain that control eye movements), she seems to be able to see quite well. Her depth perception doesn't seem to be overly affected and aside from the way she looks at things (chin to chest and looks up) we think she's going to be just fine.
We took the kids to Panda World (5 white/black pandas and whole bunch of red pandas) for all of an hour. It was extremely hot and James and I were glad it was so uninhabited. The Buddhist temple was lovely with 900 year old banyan trees and fish and turtles to entertain the boys. It was built in the year 836 but much of it was destroyed during the Cultural Revolution as it was occupied by the nearby university students, and rebuilt a few years after that.
(If you're wondering why the boys are always wearing the same clothes in the pictures, it's because they are. Luckily we can wash all the clothes everyday in the room)
This is the closest we've come to a smile.
Playing with Patrick (from the safety of Daddy's lap)
Hanging out on the Banyan tree.
The Buddhist temple.
As far as food goes....it's a struggle. Breakfast isn't too bad. The boys are having lots of bacon, pancakes, banana bread and orange juice (so far I've eaten two hard boiled eggs, the banana bread and tea - James is pigging out). Then we load up on fruit and yogurt which we bring back to the room for lunch. Dinner, on the other hand, has been a real challenge. We went to McDonalds one night, then Pizza Hut the next (both dinners ended in tears for almost everyone) and then last night, the dreaded hotel room service. The only part of that I participated in was removing the tray from the room as soon as they were finished. What I wouldn't give for some bbq pork and rice!!!
Can't wait to see what tonight brings.....
Oh, Patricia. This is such a hard time in so many ways!! But from Elena's point of view, her Adoption Day was probably the worst day of her life, so you're going to have to work to earn her trust. And that will make the next few days/ weeks/ months tough at times. But there will be good times, too, and you'll see her coming around over time ... three steps forward, one back, six steps, then maybe seven back on the odd, horrible occasion. But you will move forward, and a year from now, things will be completely different.
ReplyDeleteSo much else I want to say here ... I want to give you comfort and hope, and wish I could give you more.
I remember when things were especially hard with O, and some idiot/respected friend said, "this, too, shall pass." I wanted to kill the friend for saying it, but I knew he was right.
{{{{Big, big hugs}}}}
Heather
Wow, she's really grieving hard it sounds. I'm praying for you all, and I hope Beijing is a little easier on everyone. I love the photo's of James with the carrier on, so reminds me of Grace!
ReplyDeleteSounds like baptism by fire. It will get better! It got better for us in Guangzhou.
ReplyDeleteWe found that after we flew into Beijing that Mary began to relax a little and didn't need to be held all day long, which although quite understandable, was simply exhausting. I hope Elena continues to trust you more everyday and begins to feel confident in exploring her world.
ReplyDelete