Sunday, June 26, 2011

Time...


…for an update.
We made it to Beijing and missed the terrible storm that shut down the airport, had cars floating down the street and arrived to beautiful weather.  We’ve met our group, many of whom we had contact with via a Yahoo Group prior to traveling.  It’s nice to meet people that I’ve been chatting with over the past 6 months or so.
Yesterday, as soon as we arrived at the hotel, we jumped in a car and headed to the open market to do some shopping.  James had a few more suits made, and we had ones measured for the three boys for the big weekend coming up.  We have a 50th wedding anniversary (my parents) and my little brother is getting married.  The boys were funny because they giggled the whole time they were being measured. 

We also picked up a couple of dresses for the girls and some Messi jerseys for the boys (that they haven’t taken off yet).  
On the way home from shopping, we were dropped off at a restaurant called “Steak and Eggs”, owned by an east coaster and the food was distinctly Canadian. - I had poutine and Mill St. beer.  YUMMY!
Today was the BIG trip to the Wall, the Jade factory and the Cloisonné factory (porcelain looking stuff made of copper) and I picked up a couple of little things for my brother-in-law’s mum.  

We had beautiful weather – 22 degrees, sunny without a cloud in the sky and all the kids wanted to do was to get back to the hotel for the big “mini-sticks” match with all their new friends.   They are currently playing in the hall outside our room (our living room is the penalty box) and I’m hoping that  no one on our floor wants some peace and quiet because there are 6 boys going nuts in the hall…too late, someone complained.  

Oh well, 7pm is massage time.  Full body 1hour - $25 – HEAVEN and then bed!  At that rate, I could afford to have a daily massage and not have to wait until I win the lottery.
Elena is amazing.  She’s all smiles and is starting to talk. Her first word other than baba and daddy (both being the same thing so it doesn’t really count) is “eh?”. Too funny.  I guess we say it a lot without realizing and now when we speak to her, she looks at us, smiles and says “eh?” and then giggles.  Such a beautiful sound! It’s going just great, can’t wait to see more of her personality tomorrow.


1 comment:

  1. I am envious of your massage, we signed up for one almost every night they were heavenly after a long day of carrying kids and walking.

    Too funny about Elena and "Eh?!", sounds like she is already practicing to become a Canadian.

    Glad you made it safely to Beijing!

    ReplyDelete