Friday, November 13, 2009

Day 1

I tried to access the blog via the internet but access is denied,
something common to China, so I hope that these updates work.

Where to begin? The flight over was good, smooth, and I actually heard
James say "I can't eat another bite, there's way too much food". In
the past 9 years, I've NEVER heard him say that. However, that didn't
stop him from joining the group of other parents to a disgusting
restaurant down the street and eating another full meal of typical
restaurant food with the added bonus of people smoking all around us.
Maybe by the light of day things will seems better but the air is
thick with the smell of oil cooking in gigantic vats and my first
impression is, yuck! But, we're tired from the flight, dry throats
from the air in the plane and the smoke didn't help.

More importantly, I survived my first "hole in the floor" bathroom in
the airport and didn't spray my feet or pants too badly (I know I
know...TMI) Luckily our hotel room has a normal toilet and I can rest
up my thighs for a trip to a local flea market tomorrow morning.

Two more days and we leave for Nanchang to get Grace. Honestly, it
doesn't feel any differently than Chinatown downtown at home, so I
don't think it has hit yet. We've spoken to the boys twice on Skype,
and that's been a true blessing! They are very excited to spend a
full day at the daycare with all the other kids and go to playgroup at
the church too with no school today.

Here are some pics.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update and the "hole in the floor" experience. Can't wait to hear more.
    Nat

    ReplyDelete