We woke up long before the appointed time to go to the airport (okay,
that part wasn't so great) but we arrived without issue at the
terminal, checked the luggage, got our tickets and had time to spare
to find a Starbucks on the International side of that terminal. But
even better than the glorious decaf latte was the chiatta bun with
tomato, real cheese, and pesto....alleluia!! This day was only going
to get better from there.
Our flight was full of a tour group of octogenarian men who by their
excitement and child like awe probably didn't fly very much, if ever.
Honestly it was heartwarming to hear them yelling at each other like
little boys do every time a little something happened, like
turbulence, the meal, and even the 18 year old drop dead gorgeous
flight attendants.
We boarded at 7:40 and landed at 10:20am. By the time we arrived at
the luggage carrousel (5 minutes later) our bags were there waiting
for us (those who will remain nameless at most airports in Canada, the
States, and Mexico need to do their practical training over here).
We met out guide Mary easily enough and we heading out into the rain
and cold (5 degrees) and into a very large touring bus and started for
the city about an hour away due to the rain. We were told that we
would be arriving at the hotel, putting our bags in our room and
heading out right away to get the babies (there is one other family
here with us). No time to prepare anything, just drop and go and the
office was across the street.
Our guide gave us very interesting facts on Jiangxi province and
Nanchang, in particular (and I note it now before I forget) that on
August 1st, 1927 the first civil war in China started here against the
Kuomintang (sp) and lasted for something like 14 years. Also this
province is covered by 10% water, 60% mountains, and 20% rice farms
and orange groves, leaving 10%f or the 44 billion who live here.
However, Mary got about 10 phone calls during the short trip and it
went from the original plan, to them bringing the babies to our rooms
at the hotel (YES!!!), to, we're at the hotel already. But as we
pulled up and exited the bus, I could see in the lobby this beautiful
little princess all dressed up in the 1000 layers of clothes and I
knew it was Grace. I didn't know what to do because James was still
outside waiting for the luggage from under the bus. We had planned to
film and have pictures right away (just like a normal birth..(okay,
except for the filming part) and those plans went right out the window.
The lady who was holding her saw me and started pointed saying "mama,
mama" to Grace. At that point, I couldn't wait for James anymore and
I started heading to her. I left her in her caregivers arms and
slowly started to speak to her. James and I have been practicing
phases for her in mandarin and they all came out wrong which was
obvious by the pained expression on everyones face, including
Grace's. James was there by then and we were both careful not to
scare her in any way, no more mandarin, no tears, only peek-a-boo
games to gain her trust. After about 10 minutes James took her from
the lady from the orphanage and she cried only for a moment. I wanted
so badly to swoop her up but she was more hesitant with me, which was
completely understandable. The hotel, by the way, The Galactic Peace
International Hotel (not The Glory we were told about initially) is
BEAUTIFUL! We were given our room keys and told to be back in the
lobby by 2pm to head across the street to make things legal! James
carried Grace and I floated on cloud nine up to the room.
Once in the room, we let her explore and it was her who grabbed the
photo album, that we had sent her a few months earlier, and pointed to
Mama and Baba indicating that she understood who we were. She also
knew who her big brothers were when asked. At that point, I couldn't
wait any longer and I picked her up and snuggled her for as long as
she would let me....all of about 30 seconds. Of course the other
family have a beautiful little girl who will sit still in their arms,
stroller, high chair etc...but as if destined from before my birth,
every child of mine is an explorer and adventurer (my mother thinks
it's sweet revenge from when I was little). BUT, she is not of my DNA
and still, she's feisty and I couldn't be more pleased (most of the
time). Hard work, no doubt, but she'll fit in and won't take any
shenanigans from her bigger bothers. Obviously it was meant to be.
This was one great day!
Before bringing her upstairs we were literally given ZERO information
on her and were told that we could ask anything we wanted later in the
afternoon. That was fine, but what did she eat, did she drink
formula, eat rice cereal, where could we get some if that was what she
ate, was she hungry, when was the last time she ate, was she in fact
toilet trained etc????? Mary was kind enough to go to the store next
door and buy us a bottle and some formula but forgot to give us mixing
instructions before she left which turned out to be slightly important.
James, the ever observant parent of children's bowel movements, or
bowel movements in general (don't ask...maybe it's a guy thing)
noticed that she had a desperate look on her face and started
clapping. He took that as sign that she need the potty (go figure)
and off they went. To his delight, she's trained. The trick to make
her pee is to make the sound of running water "ssssssshhhhhhh" and for
the other, just clap. Amazing, but potentially dangerous when it is
our (Canadian) way to sooth a baby by cuddling them and "ssshhhh'ing"
them and clapping when they've done something well. I won't
elaborate but I've quickly learned to stop that immediately.
We went across the street, signed some papers, met the orphanage
director, (who is a wonderful man), and by 3 o'clock, she was
officially ours. Such a long journey to get to this point, and every
second of it worth it. Since we crammed everything into 1 day, the
rest of the week is up in the air. The weather is cold and raining,
there is no central heating (but our hotel room is toasty), and it's
going to be a challenge keeping Grace out of trouble. It's 2 am and
I'm awake but James and Grace are sleeping well. She has a little bit
of a cold and it took a long time to get her to sleep. They told us
that she sleeps through the night from 9 to 7am but perhaps we weren't
given the necessary command prompts and one day I'll do something like
cough or spit and she'll drop right off.....
What a great day, congrats to you all. It was so nicely written, I felt like I was right there with you.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to read the next update.
Have fun
Congratulations! Grace is beautiful! We stayed at the Galactic Peace in 2007. Isn't it beautiful? We loved our time in Jiangxi.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to hearing more.
Oh, how I love reading this! It brings back memories of 4 years ago (Nov 13, 2005). Mary was also our guide in Nanchang.
ReplyDeleteYour little Grace is beautiful!
Mary, another Tonggu Mama
Ohhhhhhh....... Patricia, she is precious! What a little cutie pie! Honestly, she is beautiful and simply lovely :)
ReplyDeleteI'm laughing at some of the stuff you've written so far because I can SO relate! Davian pees on command too... but not to a shhhhhhh noise, it's more of a soft whistle. Needless to say, since adopting him I've always cringed a little bit when we're out somewhere and someone lets out a whistle!
Ha ha ha...
Good times, my friend.
Enjoy!!
Laurie
~Mama to Jia-Li and Davian