Saturday, November 21, 2009

Day 9

Back in Beijing….aaaahhhhhhh

We survived a horrendous trip back from the province, a waiting area
blue with smoke, delayed flight, over crowding, fussy baby…a far cry
from business class on the way down on Air Canada, but good training
for the trip back. (I hope someone invents a transporter before my
time ends on this earth).

We arrived in Beijing last night to a lovely hotel (although we switch
to a non-smoking floor and James almost cried with joy). This morning
we got our paperwork organized for the consulate and had photos
taken. I think it was the first time that it sunk in with James how
much of an undertaking that was for (better late than never I guess).

After lunch we went for a final fitting for the suits that James is
having made and he decided to get two more. Too funny! I, on the
other hand, have bought nothing. Shopping here has proven more
difficult and frankly too much work bartering to be bothered. I had
great hopes of buying all my Christmas presents etc…but I may have to
re-think that.

I managed to suffer through countless minute of "I give you my best
price, friend price for pretty lady only" and got some clothes for
Grace until we get home.

Tomorrow we head to the Great Wall and a jade factory. Apparently
there is a Starbucks at the base of The Wall and although that's great
news for me, somehow I envision countless emperors turning in their
graves. I could take a stand and boycott it but I'm just not that
noble.

Grace has gained some weight and is quick as a whip. She's going to
fit in quite nicely and may even eat more than Patrick (a.k.a.
Piggy). James mum is going to be in her glory! She is repeating
words and mimicking pretty much everything we do and almost likes me,
but definitely loves her daddy.

3 comments:

  1. There is a weekend only flea market in Bejing. lots of fun and cheap shopping, ask your guide to take you. Enjoying your beautiful daughter and your trip. Thanks for blogging

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Patricia, James and Grace. I am hoping that my postings work - I had to post an annonoumous message last time - oh well! So happy that for the most part - things are working out well for you. I can completely relate to much of what you are dealing with - especially a flight with a cranky child and people who don't quite understand why you can't settle her down - she is YOUR child afterall ;)
    You will be home soon and all of this will be a blur - so please try to take it all in and enjoy your time together and with Grace - once you're back - all the mundane - day to day stuff kind of takes over.
    Be safe - Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patricia and James! We can't wait to meet little Grace. Hope you have a great flight home, and hope to see you all soon. Marion and Jim Farrell

    ReplyDelete